- The NRV is home to one of the oldest rivers in the world — the New River. It’s also one of the few rivers in the world that flow south to north.
- Mountain Lake, located in Giles County, was the on-site location for the 1987 box-office hit “Dirty Dancing.”
- Outside magazine named Blacksburg one of the top 10 places to live in the country, praising the surrounding area’s natural resources for hiking, biking, whitewater rafting, and climbing.
- There are only two naturally occurring lakes in the state of Virginia, and one of them is in the NRV.
- Montgomery County was the first in the United States to have every school directly connected to the Internet. In Montgomery County today, every classroom in every school has direct, high-speed Internet access.
- Daniel Boone — yes, the Daniel Boone — has a pending arrest warrant in Montgomery County for not paying his bills.
- The NRV contains one of the few remaining drive-in movie theaters in the country — and it’s still in business!
- The first duel with rifles in the state took place in the Christiansburg town square and influenced the outlawing of dueling in Virginia.
- The NRV hosts the largest research park in the commonwealth of Virginia.
- Virginia Tech has a Seismological Observatory that monitors earthquake activity around the world.
The New River Valley technically includes Floyd, Giles, Montgomery, Pulaski and the City of Radford.
(Article taken directly from the Virginia Tech Website http://www.vt.edu/where_we_are/blacksburg/interesting-facts.html)